It is commonly agreed that using a dishwasher in an average household saves more water than washing the dishes by hand. However, there are other things that should be considered when using water in your kitchen for washing dishes. Below we have listed tips to save you water, time and money in the long-term while your dishes get clean:
- Always use the energy-save or eco program during dishwashing for dishwashers, helping to reduce energy costs by reducing the water temperature and reducing water usage by 3 litres per wash in general.
- Always wash a full load. If you always find yourself only using a few dishes, you may be better of handwashing them.
- Do not overfill your dishwasher which will reduce the chance that you need to rewash your dishes. Ensure filling the dishwasher correctly as per manufacturer instructions.
- Skip pre-rinsing dishes, simply ensure food scraps go into the waste bin – this will not just save you water and time, but also prevent your drains from blocking due to food scraps and oils washing down the pipe.
- Choose a dishwasher with the right WELS Star Rating – a 4 star dishwasher uses around 15L of water compared to a standard 22L capacity kitchen sink.
- Use the same water glass throughout the day to avoid having to wash more dishes than necessary.
- When handwashing dishes, do not wait for the water to get hot, collect the water in the sink or use a bucket for watering the plants – waiting one minute for water to get hot potentially results in 10L of water loss.
Overall it is highly recommended to use a good rated dishwasher that allows you to save water, time and long term costs.
Water Corporation 2021, ‘Kitchen and Laundry’: https://www.watercorporation.com.au/Waterwise/Waterwise-advice/Kitchen-and-laundry
Save water save money 2021, ‘Conserve water when using your dishwasher’: https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/water-efficiency-tips-advice/view/103/how-to-save-water-while-using-a-dishwasher.html
Choice 2018, ‘Dishwasher energy and water efficiency’: https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/kitchen/dishwashers/articles/energy-and-water-effficiency
Real Simple 2018, ‘How to Clean 9 of the Toughest Spots Around the House’: https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/toughest-spots-to-clean