If you are not aware, the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme rates appliances based on their water efficiency with a score between 1 and 6 stars. The more stars = the more water efficient the appliance.
We encourage the community to invest in water efficient appliances and recommend going beyond the minimum requirements. The following minimum standards apply:
- Toilet: WELS 4 stars or higher.
- Showerhead: WELS 3 stars or higher.
- Tap fittings: WELS 4 stars or higher (we recommend a 6 star rating or higher for bathrooms and 4 or better for the laundry).
The following are recommendations to follow:
- Bathtub: Try looking for a low volume tub with a small surface area.
- Dishwasher: WELS 4.5 stars or higher.
- Washing machine: 4.5 stars or higher.
Water in your home at a glance:
By following these simple tips and upgrading to more water efficient appliances, we can all do our part to conserve water both now and for the future!
Statistics taken from (Water Corporation, n.d.) Available at: https://www.watercorporation.com.au/Help-and-advice/Building-and-renovating/Planning-a-waterwise-home/Planning-a-waterwise-home (Accessed April 2021)